[mythtv-users] New installation, choppy video (not DMA) help request

Steve Daniels steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com
Mon May 15 11:22:50 EDT 2006

It's less of an "improved driver support under windows" rather a distinct
lack of hardware mpeg2 playback support for linux.. :-( ATI just don't want
you to do it..

> Also, if MPEG decoding (HDTV is all mpeg2, right?) is the bottleneck, is
> this consistent with a high CPU loading for X, in addition to
> mythfrontend?

IIRC that’s right.

> > I think it comes down to either getting a faster processor, or a nvidia
> > graphics card.
> >
> > Tough luck I'm afraid.
>
> The luck is not so tough as might normally be expected.  I am awash in
> fairly recent spare parts.  I have access to nvidia cards.  With this cpu,
> how recent of a nvidia card would be sufficient?

I think there are reports of FX-5200's doing wonderful things with XVMC and
HDTV. Personally I'm sdtv only..

> Thank you very much for the reply.

Hope that helps,

Steve Daniels

P.S.

Try and keep replies on list as well :-) "Reply All" is the way the go IMO
;-)