[mythtv-users] FC5, MythTV, & PVR-350

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun May 14 23:42:07 EDT 2006

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> If you're running kernel 2.6.16 you should be using ivtv 0.6.x, whose
>> default video source is "Tuner 1", not "Tuner 0".  "Tuner 0" was the
>> default video source in ivtv 0.4.x, for kernel <= 2.6.15.
>
> Running kernel 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5
> ivtv 0.6.2-110.rhfc5.at
>
>> Rerun setup and check your video sources and input connections.
>
> Capture Card: MPEG (/dev/video0)
> Card Type: MPEG-2 encoder card (PVRx50, PVR500)
> Video Device: /dev/video0
> Default Input: Tuner 0
>
> Video Source: RCN Cable
> 	(only seems to setup up Zap2It stuff which works)
>
> Input Connections: [ MPEG : /dev/video0 ] (Tuner 1) -> RCN Cable
> 	(I'm not using any of the other selections:
> 		S-Video 1, Composite-1, S-Video 2, Composite-2, Composite-3)
>

> My card only has 1 TV Tuner....  Are you telling me I should have
> selected Tuner 1 in the Capture Card section?

OK, I changed my Capture Card selection to default to Tuner 1.

Now, I get a snippet of sound, maybe a snippet of video (if so, its gone
*very* quickly), and then X hangs the console HARD with a blank screen.
 How hard?  No keyboard input is accepted.  No remote-control input is
accepted.  I have to go to a networked PC and ssh in.  When I do, X is
consuming 96% of the available cpu, and I have to kill it in order to
regain my keyboard.  I cannot Ctrl-Alt-Fx to another VC, I cannot
Ctrl-Alt-Bksp to kill the X server, I cannot Alt-arrow_key to change to
another virtual workspace in Gnome.  No keyboard input accepted.  After
I kill X, Gdm re-displays my graphical login screen, and all is fine
again, unless I try and run mythfrontend.  So far, its repeatable....

I'm not sure if this is a MythTV or Fedora Core problem....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net