[mythtv-users] Stepmania + MythTV = brilliant, but--

John Brooks iresprite at gmail.com
Sun May 14 14:59:27 EDT 2006

> >        <action>EXEC sudo -u mythtv /home/mythtv/StepMania-3.9
> >/stepmania</action>
> >
> >Is that what you're saying?
>
> That's what I meant, but note that I haven't actually tried this myself.

Ah. I tried it myself, and it seems to work! So thanks. :)

OK, from your first posting I gathered that you were running mythtv
> as setuid root, and that stepmania was inheriting this. If that is not

Ah! Yes. Sorry- I just misinterpreted what you said here- "running mythtv as
root isn't a reason to run everything mythtv launches as root as well." I
thought you meant that I shouldn't invoke mythfrontend as root (which I'm
not exactly doing). As I mentioned before, I know that running mythfrontend
with the setuid bit set is used for scheduling priority- which is why I'm
doing that. And I imagine that Stepmania inherits that when I try to call it
straight up.

It may be a moot point since I've got it working with your suggestion above,
but if I shouldn't be running mythfrontend setuid root, please let me know.
Maybe scheduling isn't such a big deal since I'm only recording SDTV, so
it's not like I have a huge load on my CPU...

Jack.