[mythtv-users] Stepmania + MythTV = brilliant, but--

John Brooks iresprite at gmail.com
Sun May 14 14:06:47 EDT 2006

> A workaround might be to use 'sudo' to launch stepmania as a different
> user,
> i.e. instead of running 'stepmania', you would run 'sudo -u mythtv
> stepmania'
> which would launch it as the mythtv user. The better solution in my
> opinion

I see. So I'd change the entry in mainmenu.xml to read as follows:

        <action>EXEC sudo -u mythtv /home/mythtv/StepMania-3.9
/stepmania</action>

Is that what you're saying?

would be to make mythtv itself do this; running mythtv as root isn't a
> reason to run everything mythtv launches as root as well.

Hm. I'm not sure I understand what you mean; I am running mythtv with the
mythtv user, not the root user. Sorry if I'm a little confused here. The way
things go is that I have a bootup script that has root calling startx but
invoking it as the mythtv user. Then mythfrontend is called from .xinitrc so
that it's running as a mthtv user process.

Does that make sense? Thanks again.

Jack.