[mythtv-users] OTA HD and regular Cable setup

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Sun May 14 00:22:52 EDT 2006

> Anyone able to point me in the direction of a recommended setup for the backend / front end for a OTA HD and regular cable myth tv system?  I have ordered a HD-5000 for the OTA and a Hauppauge pvr 250 for the cable but was curious on the requirements for the backend / frontend systems.  For the backend I had a spare 2.4 GHz pentium 4 with 512 MB of ram.  For the front end I was looking at purchasing a 3200+ AMD Venice with 512 MB of ram and a 6800 with HDTV out for the video card.
>
> Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The 6800 is way more graphics card than you need for the front end.  Is
that a problem?  Yes, because it requires a fan which is noisy and
consumes a lot of power which increases both noise and heat.  An FX5200
with just a passive heatsink will handle all your Mythtv needs.  Save
the 6800 for gaming.