[mythtv-users] lvm mount "bad superblock"

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat May 13 19:03:41 EDT 2006

> I have skips in my recording with my PVR-350 (2.6.16-1.2069_FC4 and ivtv
> 0.6.1 ).  During playback I get skips and eventually a complete lockup of
> the system.  To prevent the skips I have the nvram-wakeup routine setup.
>
> Anyhow, while watching a show, mythtv locked up and I proceeded to power
> the
> system off.  Now on bootup and attempts at mounting my 280 gig lvm jfs, I
> get (ugh not again):
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/Myth/video,
>        missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so
>

> As a result of this I guess I have to rebuild the lvm again.  I can go
> into
> lvm and see the volume.  I tried to run a jfs_fsck, but that reports
>

> The superblock does not describe a correct jfs file system.
>
> If device /dev/hdd1 is valid and contains a jfs file system,
> then both the primary and secondary superblocks are corrupt
> and cannot be repaired, and fsck cannot continue.
>
> Is there anything else I can try?

You need to do a jfs_fsck on the LVM device which I gather from your
description is /dev/Mythtv/video - not on the disk itself.
I've had exactly the same problem with jfs - on Gentoo in my case - and so
far I haven't found a script that will always check the jfs fs (or at
least play back the journal) at startup before trying to mount it.

--
Robin Gilks