[mythtv-users] BBC HD Trial

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Sat May 13 03:49:10 EDT 2006

On 13/05/06, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Paul Raison <paul at raison.org.uk> wrote:

> > Has anyone been able to receive the BBC HD trial currently on DVB-S?
> > Mythtv has picked up the channel during a scan but there appears to be
> > no video stream - any attempt to record anything off it results in a
> > zero length file. I'm not sure if my tuner card (a Hauppage Nova-S) is
> > up to the job of receiving HD.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Paul
>

>  I was able to record both the dvb-s and dvb-t trials until a few days ago.
> Since then I've consistently had zero length recordings as well - not had a
> chance to investigate further though (runnning svn). Any card that currently
> works with dvb-s/t should be able to record the streams (I'm using nova-t's
> and a nova-s)
>
>  At the moment, though, mythtv cannnot play the video. Essentially the BBC
> have opted to use some of the more advanced elements of the h.264 codec that
> are currently unsupported in any open source decoder. I've managed to decode
> in windows using an Elecard player and codec (trial version).
>
>  In terms of possible solutions, a patch was submitted a month or two ago to
> enable mythtv to use the CoreAVC decoder (Windows directshow filter) for
> h.264 playback. This patch works well for me but it does not yet work with
> the BBC streams. The CoreAVC developer has stated that it will have all the
> functionality required in a week or two - just in time for the world cup!
>
>  It is however a commercial codec - so you'll need to fork out $20 or
> thereabouts, but that's probaly cheap in comparison to the new processor
> you'll (probably) need.

I haven't tried a channel scan from within myth yet but I've run
dvbscan several times over the past week, without seeing any trace of
the HD channel.

I'm definitely on the Crystal Palace transmitter so does this mean:

1)  I've been unlucky and only scanned when the HD signal was off-air?
2)  My Hauppauge Nova-t isn't suitable for the signal?
3)  I need to edit my uk-CrystalPalace file before running dvbscan ?
4)  dvbscan is the wrong tool for testing my access to the signal ?
5)  some other thing wrong that I can't even imagine?

I'd like to understand a bit more about what's going on, before I
start fiddling with my production myth system.

Thanks in advance