[mythtv-users] An idea for importing video from removable media

Stephen Atkins stephen.atkins at gmail.com
Fri May 12 11:15:13 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/06, Derek Meek <thekazan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sounds to me like any other converstion/archival topic.  If it's too
> close to sharing, then isn't transcoding to .avi too close also?
>
> I could get maybe 2-3 hour-long shows worth of video onto a 4G DVD,
> but I could transcode them to .avi and get around 10ish.  Archiving
> the video w/ xml markup seems to be more geared to archival, where
> .avi (et. al.) would be more likely to enable sharing (due to the
> smaller filesizie, etc).

In a way it is more archival then sharing.  One of our other uses for this
would be to back up shows that we haven't seen yet to say a usb hard drive.
That way we could free up some disk space for other show to record.  I know
I have recorded the entire season of Law and Order, and SVU and CI and the
new show Conviction.  I haven't seen any of them but I would like to see
them at some point this summer when I have more time.  If I could just back
these up to an external hd with some sort of auto detection when I plug the
device in it would solve all kinds of problems for my wife.  She doesn't
know how to mount the drive then get Myth to scan for new videos and all of
that.  She just wants to plug and play.

Any way like I say if anyone is interested just let me know.

Stephen