[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and PVR-150 - Sound Problem

James Kaufman jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us
Fri May 12 08:39:12 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 02:35:26AM +0100, Nick wrote:
> On 11/05/06, James Kaufman <jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us> wrote:
> > I bought a new-fangled PVR-150 from CompUSA a couple of days ago
> > (with the $40 instant saving + rebate offer) and popped that in. I
> > also updated some of the software on the myth box based on MythDora's
> > changelog for version 2.3. This upgraded the kernel to 2.6.16, and
> > ivtv to 0.6.1.
> >
> > The new PVR-150 is detected as card 0 and the original 350 is now card
> > 1. The new 150 is not auto-detected, so I marked it as type 50. The
> > good news is that after upgrading the software and using the IR port
> > on the new 150, the remote control works. (It never worked using the
> > PVR-350.) HOWEVER, I get video and audio on the new 150 card. I only
> > get video on the 350.
>
> First thing to do is check your syslog for the ivtv output when the
> ivtv modules are loaded to make sure there are no obvious issues with
> card detection (could be PVR-350 tuner). The new 2.6.16 kernel (I
> think) no longer wants the ivtv-msp3400 alias in your modprobe.conf as
> the module is now in the kernel, so this could be one possible cause.

Brilliant.

I have two sets of drivers in the /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2096_FC4
directory. The standard set that comes with the kernel and a set under
an updates directory that came from
video4linux-kmdl-2.6.16-1.2096_FC4-20060410-70.rhfc4.at. That meant
two version of msp3400.ko and the one from the updates directory was
getting loaded. I renamed the file, ran depmod, and now I have sound
with the PVR-350.

Does the same rule apply to the sound driver for the PVR-150? I have
two copies of the cx25840 driver. I get sound from the 150, but it is
significantly quieter than from the 350. (I've checked the levels
using ivtvctl and both cards are around 95%)

[root at mythtvbe ~]# ivtvctl -Y -d /dev/video0
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
Brightness = 127
Contrast = 63
Saturation = 63
Hue = 0
Volume = 58880
Balance = 32768
Bass = 32768
Treble = 32768
Mute = 0

[root at mythtvbe ~]# ivtvctl -Y -d /dev/video1
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL
Brightness = 127
Contrast = 63
Saturation = 63