[mythtv-users] Bob deinterlace and Xv problems

Dan Seddon dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com
Fri May 12 04:49:24 EDT 2006

This may have come up but many of the "bob" posts relate to XvMC - which
I'm not using due to the cursed buffer underun issues.

When I choose to use bob deinterlace without XvMC, meaning it must be
using Xv, everything starts off fine then after a short while X starts
to climb in it's processor usage until it's using all that remains after
myth (about %65). It took me a while to catch on to this (it causes
stuttering which after months of trying to get rid of XvMC I wasn't
looking in the right place), it was only when I logged in from my laptop
and did a top that I saw what was going in. Turning off bob-deinterlace
solves the problem - which is bad as you really need bob when displaying
on a montior as I am. I'm sure it's not a processing limitation as in
the worse case all that can be happening is that Xv is splitting the
fields and doubling up the frames on the fly, before scaling up? So, it
has four times the scaling to do - but that shouldn't be an issue to an
Nvidia card. Has anyone seen this and, even better, know how to prevent it?

Thanks

Dan