[mythtv-users] MythTV output to HDMI IN

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 11 15:51:25 EDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Nedim Cholich <nedim.cholich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/10/06, moogie <okcancel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The 1280x768 that you can get is 720p which some people  think it's better
> then 1080i. It's about personal preference and the kind of TV you have,
> especially if you plan on watching HD. 1080i is "fuzzier" then 720p which
> you may or may not like better. What I'm trying to say is that until we get
> 1080p programming, 1080i is not all that and a bag of chips. Just my 2c.

except that 1080i can be resolved into 1080p using IVTC, which is what
the 1080p displays do. Whether 720p is better than 1080i, it really
comes down to the content being watch. Sports do betterin 720p due to
the high action content, pretty much everything else looks better in
1080i because of the greater pixel count. 1080p's only downside is
that it requires more bandwitdth due to the increase in data.

On 5/10/06, moogie <okcancel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I tried Google, but I could not find the right
> modelines for my Sony KDF-60WF655.

assuming the Sony electronics all use similar modelines, try some of
the ones in the Wiki's modeline database. Or just search for one of
the TV's in the same family as yours (KDF-__WF___)

> My MythTV box is waiting patiently, the nVidia FX 5200
> card and
> DVI->HDMI video cable have not yet arrived.
>
> But it looks like MonInfo may be of some help in
> finding modelines:
> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
>
> (Yes, it runs on Windows only.)
> I don't have a Windows PC with DVI port so I cannot
> test this.
>
> Has anyone used MonInfo to determine modelines?
> Did you connect your Windows PC DVI port to your HDTV
> HDMI port to see what MonInfo says?
> Did it help?

Xorg's native nv and ati drivers will display EDID information in the
Xorg log. Its the same data entech's software receives. Then use one
of the modeline generators to create a modeline.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!