[mythtv-users] OT: HDTV TV's

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 11 15:13:43 EDT 2006

On 05/11/2006 03:03 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 5/11/06, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 13:36 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Is EDID reporting a 1280x768 native resolution or just that 1280x768 is
>>> an acceptable input resolution.
>>>
>> I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. What EDID reports is different
>> than what the manual says. But we have to remember that the manual is
>> speaking to the average consumer, i.e. a Windows user who will only know
>> how to go into the Display control panel and set the resolution, so the
>> manual might just be telling this person to set the resolution to
>> 1024x768. All I know is, a 1280x768 resolution does work in X, and it
>> causes the TV to display the image differently than if X is using
>> 1024x768.
>>

> For fixed pixel displays the EDID information is rarely the 720p/1080p
> values, usually its the native resolution, though some manufacturers
> aren't even that nice and give you odd values that then end up being
> scaled. This doesn't mean the monitor can't take in a signal of its
> native value it just means the information for that was not programmed
> into the EDID report.

My TV (a DLP) reports a bunch of resolutions in the EDID, but does not
specify the native resolution (1920x1080) as even an acceptable input
(probably because the manufacturer didn't think normal Windows users
could make it work properly).

> Don't necesarily think of EDID as the holy grail of what your monitor
> will accept. Some TV's have had firmware upgrades that have changed
> the EDID values because they were shipped from the factory wrong, or
> new values were added, etc.

I definitely agree with this.  Unfortunately, it's set up to make the TV
work the way the manufacturer expects people to use it--it doesn't
(necessarily?/usually?/ever?) enumerate all possible configurations.

Mike