[mythtv-users] Mythmusic 0.19 mp3 files located on backend or frontend?

Will Berriss will at berriss.plus.com
Wed May 10 16:06:06 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have Mythtv 0.19 installed on my server (backend) and mythfronend 0.19
installed on my sitting room PC.
When I use the frontend to setup the Music directory, it can only see files on
the frontend PC.
I set the Directory to hold music to be /MUSIC, this is on the frontend PC only.

This is odd and means I have to make copies of the mp3 files from backend (where
I want them) to the
frontend so I can see them and play them with mymusic.
Is this supposed to be how it works?
(I AM NOT USING NFS by the way.)

I copied just one album, Queen, to the frontend /MUSIC directory and so I see a
list of
just Queen songs (of course.) BUT, I have many more albums on my server, but they
are on
the server only.
So, when I use Mythweb from another PC (Mythweb run on backednd myth server) and
choose
mythmusic from the mythweb web page, all it tells me about are the
Queen mp3 files, as that is all that is in the list of files. :(
This is daft because:
(a) my frontend PC is usually switched off when I am elsewhere using mythweb, so
I cannot play the
Queen files on that machine anyway (so why list those ones!?)
(b) mythweb runs on the server and so can see only the files on the server
(backend mythbox)
anyway, yet the list pertains to the frontend.

Of course, I also have queen on the backend, under /mus, and somehow Mythweb
still finds them,
despite them living under /MUSIC on the frontend (recall it was the frontend that
was generated the list
when I do a scan for music.)

I think something is wrong. Can anyone help?

I am running Ubuntu Breezy 5.0, kernel 2.6.12-10 and I got my Mythtv 0.19 from
debthehunter.ws
at the end of April 2006.

N.B. I do not have mythtv package installed on frontend, just mythfrontend and
mythmusic
etc are installed on front end.  Backend has ALL mythtv packages installed.

N.B. I used to have a combined frontend and backend but I now have separate
client and
server. (And I did dump the old mythconverg database and reuse that on my backend
because
the channels scan did not work for me in 0.19 like it did in 0.18.  My old combined
system was 0.19 but it was upgraded to 0.19 from 0.18, so always worked.)

Any help with this Mythmusic file location would be much appreciated.
(N.B.  The same problem occurs with my Images in MythImage and for my (xvid)
videos/movies.

Thanks in advance for any help and I should say that I think Mythtv is great!!! :-)

Will