[mythtv-users] Best Hardware

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue May 9 22:14:37 EDT 2006

>Howdy there all!! I am new to the mailing list and proud to be a MythTV
>user!! :-D
>
>I am wanting to know what would be the best hardware setup for a NEW
>mythtv box. It would be connected to an HDTV via DVI. I would like to
>have it with 5.1 or 7.1 digital sound using a standalone sound system,
>but unsure what to use! (suggestions please)
>
>I would like to know everyones input on this theoretical setup that I do
>not plan to keep theoretical for very long.(2-3 months)
>
>Possible OS: Fedora Core 5
>
>Basic setup:
>3.4 +/- P4 OR Duel Xeon (64bit)
>SATA HDDs (4-6 drives, all 300G+)
>SATA DVDRW DL
>2 or 3 TVtunercards (HD if possible)
>Remote Control (standalone or from tv tuner)
>10/100/1000 Ethernet
>5.1 or 7.1 surround sound
>nVidia PCIX GPU
>
>Any suggestions on any aspect would be appreciated.

Much too broad of a question to get any useful answers out of anyone.
First decide whether you want a combined fe/be or separate systems, how
many frontends, how many HD tuners, what else these will be
doing if anything, environmental requirements (acceptable size, noise, heat,
ugliness, etc).  And once you know what you're looking for, try only a few
related questions at a time/per thread. Otherwise, this thread will go on and on
in way too many directions.