[mythtv-users] A8N-VM CSM success

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue May 9 11:25:03 EDT 2006

glen martin wrote:

> I definitely don't get a kernel oops.
>
> FWIW, I'm running 2.6.15-gentoo-r1, with a couple of extra patches I
> applied locally:
>
> patch-forcedeth-049-tso-fix
> acpi-dsdt-initrd-v0.8.1-2.6.15.patch   <- this was to allow replacement
> of the busted DSDT in prior BIOS
> alsa_patch.txt   <- patches hda_codec.c to remove surround sound

Thank you for the information.

Another difference that we have is that you are using the most recent
NVIDIA driver (8756).

I had upgraded to the driver, but it caused problems with Xine's OSD. I
just discovered that these problems are related to using XvMC in the
current driver (in the previous NVIDIA driver (8178), XvMC did not work
so Xine was falling back to Xv).

I have upgraded to the most recent driver again. With the most recent
driver, the IRQ related kernel oops happens much less often. In fact, so
far, it has only happened once. I guess there is some race condition
that manifests itself much less often with the most recent NVIDIA driver.