[mythtv-users] remove dvd drive

Daniel A Segel mythtv at archer-segel.com
Tue May 9 10:39:51 EDT 2006

Dylan R. Semler wrote:
> I've got my master backend server hooked up to a tv, however the backend
> doesn't have a dvd drive.  Is there any way to use a remote dvd drive to
> watch movies on the tv--either through myth or by mounting /dev/dvd or
> the mountpoint via NFS?  I've tried the nfs and I kept getting
> permission denied.
>
> If anyone has some ideas, let me know.

I use the combination of dvdbackup (to copy the DVD to a hard drive) and
mkisofs (to make an iso file out of the directory created by dvdbackup)
and then play the files (mounted via NFS ) with xine, as mentioned in
another recent thread. This works perfectly for about 98% of the DVDs I
need to watch this way. There are some that use a different form of copy
protection that dvdbackup can't handle, but dvddecrypt (running under
Wine) can.

Daniel