[mythtv-users] A8N-VM CSM success

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Mon May 8 14:03:44 EDT 2006

>> >Thanks for the update, I'm trying to decide between this board and the
>> >MSI K8NGM2-FID, which has the same video.  What's the issue with
>> >the NIC?  I could have swore I saw emails from others who were using
>> >the NIC succesfully...
>> >

>> Possibly nothing. I didn't even try it for three reason:
>> 1) I heard some people having issues with it doing random disconnects,
>> most likely driver related with older kernels.
>> 2) The driver is in the 10/100 section of the kernel config, and not in
>> the 1000 section - seems strange to me if it's a gig card....
>> 3) I had a tried & true gig PCI card and an empty slot.
>
>Neither of these boards come with digital audio output? What a huge
>ommision! I'd be more than willing to give up two useless USB2 ports
>for an optical or digital audio output so this board can properly be
>used for HDTV...

Yes, it does. A header for the digital output is on the ASUS board.
I have the bracket with both coax & optical out, got it on ebay for
a few bucks. Although it's takes up an expansion slot, I avoided
that by cutting a nice hole above the IO panel in the back of my case
and screwed the bracket to it. Still look nice and saves an expansion
slot. But, considering this board has everything onboard, you shouldn't
have to worry about using up an expansion slot, at least if this is for
a front end (no tuners).