[mythtv-users] plugin idea: MythNielsen

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 8 11:27:19 EDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Dean Wilson wrote:

> I _just_ sent this to the list last Friday.
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/202486#202486
>
> (Basically, I was interested in the same sort of project.  Care would
> have to be taken to keep the information authentic, and there isn't
> any guarantee that Nielson would use the information.  But at the very
> least, it would still provide information to myth users and
> developers...)

Myth users and developers could benefit from information like what
systems are being used (CPUs, graphic cards, capture devices etc).
What storage systems are being used, how often (if at all) they are
backed up...

This sort of info would tell developers what directions they might
want to pursue, and would be of help to anyone contemplating putting
together a system.

I think, in fact, that "what we watch" would be of only passing
interest. I know the collection of shows on my hard drives is about
as eclectic as you can get, ranging from "The Flintstones" to
Wagnerian Operas, what value that information might have to others I
can't imagine.

The information might not be completely accurate either, Americans,
for example, might be reluctant to honestly report what, if any, DVDs
might have been ripped onto their systems.

In short, I'd personally be more interested in system details than in
content information, but that's just my opinion.