[mythtv-users] PVR-150 broken?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun May 7 21:04:53 EDT 2006

Greg Woods writes:

> On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 18:47 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>  You need to disable Nvidia's
>> kernel module and rollback the xorg.conf driver.  Additionally, it's my
>> understanding that Nvidia's installer overwrites a number of x.org core
>> libraries, and makes a backup copy of the originals.  You need to restore
>> those as well.
>
> Well, that sounds like quite a bit of work. I may get to it eventually,
> but I have other higher priority Myth-related projects to get done
> (getting my MBE/FE to work with HD display to my Pioneer PRO-R06 TV for
> which I can't find a modeline anywhere, getting my HD-3000 card to work,
> getting Firewire to work). When I get time, if I still haven't seen a
> solution to my problem with the PVR-150, I may try this. But I would be
> curious to know why you think the Nvidia driver might have anything to
> do with this before I go through all that trouble.

Either it is, or it isn't.  If it is, then you didn't waste any time looking
somewhere else.  If it isn't, then if you go to either the ivtv or the xorg
mailing list, you'll be told that nobody's going to waste time looking at
this until you can reproduce the problem without using a single bit of
Nvidia's non-free binary blob.  They will tell you exactly what I just told
you: remove all traces of Nvidia's binary blob, and if the problem still
exists, then maybe somebody could look at it.  But nothing can be done as
long as you are using Nvidia's binary blob, because nobody has any idea what
it is or isn't doing to the kernel's innards.  Only Nvidia can debug their
driver, so you have to go to them.

It's very likely that you're correct in your initial belief that this is not
really myth related, since you cannot get an mpeg stream out of /dev/video0.
Therefore, it is either an ivtv, or an xorg-related issue.  I guarantee you
that's the answer you'll get from xorg -- and I agree 100% with their
reasons for refusing to waste any time on someone else's non-open source
software -- thus saving you the time of signing up for that mailing list.
There's a chance that you'll get a different answer from the ivtv list, but
I wouldn't bet on it.