[mythtv-users] IR receivers and remote controls

Patrick Mansfield patman at aracnet.com
Sun May 7 13:48:17 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 08:15:48PM +0800, Martin Turner wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm looking for an IR receiver for my remote control (USB) that works
> well in linux/lirc/myth. I've seen plenty of build your own plans on the
> web but im not interested in them as I don't have the time to collect
> the parts (ok, im too lazy). Does anyone have any experience with IR
> receivers and/or know where I can get one. It doesn't have to come with
> a remote (I already have a half decent remote) but if someone has a
> particularly good remote that works pretty much right off the bat I'd be
> interested in that also.
>
> On a side note, ive been looking at the iMon remotes (iMon inside) and
> they look nice, but they are pretty pricey.

Did you find anything?

I am also looking for a USB IR receiver, and don't want to add another
remote to my collection.

The only ones I've found are the streamzap and MS/MCE ones. I read (I
think on this list) that you can call and get the streamzap without
remote, no idea of the price. I have not used either of these, so no idea
if lirc works or what remotes work with them (but I'd guess lirc works and
most remotes work with them).

streamzap, I think $30 + shipping:

http://www.streamzap.com/products/pcremote/

Above says they have it at fry's, and amazon, but not in stock at amazon
but seems to be available at think geek:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/loot.cgi?o_ca=C5A20&dsid=398301b4cdb376cd9d3aad50

MCE USB IR receiver (no remote), on ebay, $20 + $10 shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Media-Center-IR-receiver_W0QQitemZ9721253973QQcategoryZ51086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-- Patrick Mansfield