[mythtv-users] Cheap Possible Frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun May 7 11:34:07 EDT 2006

I know, we've all seen the posts:

"I (found in a dumpster / was offered for $5) a computer. All I know
about it is (It says "286" on the front / It says "Altair") and I was
wondering if it will work With Myth. I plan to connect it to my
network with (a 300-baud modem / my cell phone), and storage will be
(punch cards / magnetic drum). I will need to drive 6 High-Definition
displays simultaneously, each with a separate 1080i signal. Do you
think it will work ??"

Not to be outdone, I found this:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BB-U-BUDDIE-SYS&cat=BBK&cpc=JAD

Since I have the RAM and the drives, I'm only risking $120.

What I wonder about is the "64-bit 2D/3D graphics accelerator". Is
this just a UniChrome variant? I don't know much about those, but I'd
never heard they were 64-bit. What "acceleration" might it provide ?

I'm wondering if it might do SD only, perhaps with XvMC or a
Unichrome-only driver ? I'd really like to be able to playback MPEG-4
streams, sort of a "Rich Man's MediaMVP that can do MPEG-4".

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org