[mythtv-users] LiveTV audio missing

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Sat May 6 12:48:03 EDT 2006

> On 5/6/06, Chris Wilkinson <blobster at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>> Thanks for the tip...it gives me sound, but still only on the
>> left channel, and distorted despite what I set on the capture
>> control. Getting close now though! :-)
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I had a lot of trouble with a Pinnacle TV card and sound under Linux a
> few years back. In the end the answer was to pass the kernel module a
> parameter "pal=i" as the different variants of PAL handle these things
> slightly different. According to good old Wikipedia you guys use B/G
> or D/K, you may know already which one, so it might be worth trying
> that as a module option?
>
> Robin

Chris, looking at the gossamer-threads archive:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_forum=forum_1&search_string=Sound+left+channel+only&search_type=AND
I've seen your problem come up several times, sometimes blamed on IVTV
and others on ALSA.  If you're still working this I'd still recommend
listening directly to the tuner audio output while it is being
controlled by Mythtv, not Tvtime.  That will tell you if Mythtv is
setting the card up correctly.  If you have stereo output from your
tuner under Mythtv, then you need to play back your nuv files with
mplayer to see if the stereo is getting into the nuv files.  Watching TV
requires the sound card to operate in duplex mode, to encode the audio
and simultaneously play it back to the speakers.