[mythtv-users] Quiet HDTV Hardware

glen martin lists at locutory.org
Fri May 5 21:30:12 EDT 2006

James C. Dastrup wrote:
>> Just to warn the unwary, I still won't recommend the A8N-VM CSM mobo,
>> since the on-mobo sound is pretty crappy. (sounds like a 33-rpm phono
>> complete with cracks and pops). Unless you add a PCI soundcard too.
>> So much for single-board solutions, or this one anyway. Great feature
>> list, lousy execution.
>>

> To me, it sounds more like the typical experience with Linux: If you buy
> the latest and greatest hardware, you won't be able to take advantage of
> it because the drivers won't be available.
>
> In another 6-12 months, this mobo may be great.
Fair enough, you're probably right, but I didn't want to post the
positive message (this workaround fixes it) without the proviso (sound
still doesn't work well enough to use, for me). So for completeness:
today, if you want to use an Asus A8N-VM CSM, make sure you also have a
PCI-E video card (eg an NVidia 6200TC-based board), and a sound card.

glen