[mythtv-users] New video card crashes PVR-350 card

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri May 5 18:22:10 EDT 2006

Eggert Thorlacius writes:

> Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
>
> I tried switching to the nv driver and the conflict is now gone, so
> presumably it was a bug in the nvidia driver.
> However, I can't get the nv driver to output in widescreen (1280x768),
> only in 1024x768 mode.  If I try using widescreen, I get a garbled
> display, and no modeline tweaking seems to help.
> My current theory is that the driver is ignoring my modelines because
> it can read EDID data from the TV, but that the EDID data is
> incorrect.  The nvidia driver had a IgnoreEDID option, but there
> doesn't seem to be one in the nv driver.  Does this sound plausible or
> am I barking up the wrong tree here?

There is no generic "1280x768" resolution, in x.org.  It's either 1024x768,
or 1280x1024.  Pick one.

You did not indicate which distro you are using.  If Fedora, run
"Display" from "System Settings".  In the "Hardware" tab, if you can't find
your monitor, pick a generic setting for either a 1280x1024 or 1024x768
monitor.

After restarting, you can then use "Screen Resolution" in "Preferences" to
set the actual video mode.

I find that with each passing year, manual hacking of xorg.conf becomes less
and less necessary, as long as you do your due diligence and choose hardware
that does not require you to use nvidia's or ati's non-free drivers.