[mythtv-users] MythArchive has been added to svn - Please test

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri May 5 14:58:49 EDT 2006

> Its a good idea in principle but there are some limitations with it. I'm
> sure it could be done though.
>
> The video file on a DVD , has I know you already know, have been bashed
> about a bit and often aren't really the same as the original file. It
> does depend on how the original recording was made but there may be
> several streams missing like extra audio tracks, and various data
> streams for teletext, interactive tv or dvb subtitle streams for
> example. I wanted a way to pressure the file and metadata exactly as the
> original so I could move it to another myth system.
>
> I know some of the other devs have been toying with the idea to make it
> possible to store recordings in some form of offline storage that will
> automatically appear in Myth when the offline media is made available
> but I'm not sure how its going to work.
>
> Paul H.

 	Ah... hadn't thought of that.  I don't have any experience with
regular ol' ivtv captures with a single mp2 audio stream.  I'd guess
that's the majority of users.  In the U.S. at least digital TV is stymied
by everyone wanting to encrypt, protect, and make a buck off from it, so
everything is either OTO HD, or captured from CVBS.

 	It's getting complicated already, but maybe full vs. partial in
the simple cases?  Actually, the DVD stream can have all those other
things in it as well, no?  So long as it's got a compliant video stream
size (e.g. 720x480), ac3 audio, and NAV packets, it's acceptable, no?

 	Once again, \me likely talking out my arse....

-Cory