[mythtv-users] Juddery playback on Mac Myth?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Fri May 5 14:21:49 EDT 2006

I have noticed some pretty severe judder when using the Intel binary
version of the 0.19 Myth frontend to display some 1080i material.  I
don't have a PowerPC machine fast enough to display HD, so I'm
wondering if G5 users have seen anything like this (i.e. is this a Mac
issue, or an Intel-Mac issue).

720p HD material plays fine, as does video sourced 1080i material.
But, film sourced 1080i material ( 'The West Wing', 'My Name is Earl')
causes problems.  I have seen this with material from two different
broadcasters, and the same recording looks fine on an HD Tivo, or a
Linux Myth frontend.

Also -- by 'judder', I mean the video playback does not flow smoothly,
instead the apparent frame rate appears to speed up and slow down
through playback.  I believe this is caused by the conversion from
24fps filmed material to playback at 720p 60fps.  (My display is a
720p Samsung DLP, and the Mini's display refresh rate is 60Hz).