[mythtv-users] Mythmusic keys problem: pgup/pgdn

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Fri May 5 11:26:12 EDT 2006

> I didn't fully follow this thread, but did you try changing the keybindings
> via Mythweb? As you can, I assume keybindings are stored in the database as
> well, and the coded ones are defaults only. The music RWND/FFWD are not
> bound to any key on my machine.

Unless I am mistaken, all Mythweb's keybinding settings allow you to
do is type in key commands for each function. The problem is that not
all parts of mythfrontend heed the changes to the keybindings and
instead assume their own keys.

Try changing the bindings for the global up, down, left, right, page
up, page down, and select commands and you'll see what I mean. They
are hard-coded to those keys in some places.

A longer example:

I want to be able to use page-up and page-down on the remote,
especially in the recordings list, guide, mythmusic, mythvideo. There
is no setting in mythmusic for page-up / page-down, so I assume that
it must use the global page-up page-down keys. It doesn't, though. If
you set those to anything other than the actual page-up and page down
keys, it won't work.

So as a result, I have to have a dedicated page-up/page-down key for
everything. Logical, yes, but for a TV it doesn't make sense. The
ideal case is to be able to use channel up/down as a page up/down like
a TIVO does, and only use it as a channel up/down when viewing liveTV.
Logically, it should be possible to define a global page up/down to be
some key and then define channel-up in liveTV to be the same key, and
either the local or global definition would "win".

What actually happens is jump ahead/back is hard coded to be page up /
down, so when I define a global page up/down key, that same key can
only be used to jump ahead/back.

I spent a number of hours on this and eventually conceded to just
devote the channel up/down key on the remote to be a full-time page
up/down, and just lose that level of WAF on the offchance that
somebody watching liveTV hits channel up and finds that the recording
skipped back 10 minutes.

I can go more in-depth in testing if you can think of a specific case
I should try, but I don't have all that much time to devote to this at
the moment. It's a very reproducable bug, all you have to do is change
the keybindings to something non-standard and try to use myth. What I
did at first was define every key on the remote to be a Meta key
(something the keyboard I have can't type). I just went Meta-A through
Meta-Z. I then tried to define all the Myth functions I needed to
these keys and found that a lot of them would not work properly.

 - Jeff