[mythtv-users] I got this far and now i am frustrated

Francesco Peeters francesco at fampeeters.com
Fri May 5 00:58:39 EDT 2006

David Watkins schreef:
>>Now to find cable etc for the back of tv but in pc world uk its £25 ..
>

> £25 sounds a bit steep - I'd have though £15 would be more reasonable
> - try Maplin or Dixons.
>

>>i am not sure which to get.
>>The tv only has scart and ariel connection( this tv will have to do
>>till we save up for a new one with PC connection.
>>

> The trouble with SCART is that it supports different type of input
> (S-Video, Composite Video, RGB etc) so you need to read your TV manual
> to find out what inputs it accepts on the SCART socket (Sometimes it
> accepts them all and autodetects or you need to change the TV setup
> depending on what you're sending).

Sometimes the remote suffices... Just press the line-in button
repeatedly, and it will usually scroll through the available options...

My old TV showed, for instance, the following choices:
Video1
rgb1
Video2
rgb2
S-VHS-3

My new TV does:
Ext1 (composite)
Ext2
S-VHS2

By then looking at the available plugs, you can pretty much figure out
your options.

The old TV had 2 scarts and 1 S-Video input
The new TV has 2 scarts, period.

So the old TV supported Composite and RGB on the scarts, and S-VHS on
the S-Video plug
The new one supports Composite only on Scart1 and Composite and S-VHS on
Scart2.

> So you a get variety of cables with SCART at one end and something
> else at the other.

Yeah! Ain't that fun?

> For S-Video the something else will be a small round DIN plug(Video)
> and two phono plugs(stereo audio)
>
> For composite it will be three phono plugs.

Or 6 plugs for bi-dir cables, obviously

> And I suspect that, like me, you won't need to worry about RGB.
>
> SCART cable are also directional, so you get a cable dedicated to one
> direction, or with a switch on the SCART end to determine whether it
> is the input of the output.

Or fully wired bi-dir cables, which'll allow you to experiment. (I've
seen some weird stuff in my time, like having to combine Line OUT with
Video-IN to get both picture and sound... Stuff that non-bi-dir cables
won't allow you to tweak.

--
Francesco Peeters
      Via Epia V8000 - 256MB RAM - 160GB Maxtor - PVR-250 - NVidia MX440