[mythtv-users] X Resolution

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 4 19:58:24 EDT 2006

See http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/200109#200109 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/200631#200631 .

>I think your X DPI setting is not set accurately.  What I would suggest
>is the following:
>
> * Terminate any running xdm/gdm/kdm, and X along with it.
>
> * Start X with the following command, and see whether the fonts are
>   more legible:
>
>        startx -- -dpi 96
>
> * If the font size in X apps is too small, increase the DPI value
>   and try again.
>
> * When you're satisfied with the font size, run the following command
>   from a shell:
>
>        xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
>
>   The output on my system says: 1680x1050 (445x278 millimeters)
>
> * Note down these millimeter values, and make a corresponding entry in
>   your xorg.conf file's "Monitor" section.
>
>   Section "Monitor"
>       Identifier  "Monitor0"
>       DisplaySize 445 278
>   EndSection
>
> * Restart X, and your X app fonts should work fine.  You'll have to
>   fiddle with Myth's font sizes to get them just right, but at least
>   it's confined to Myth now, and your other apps are legible. :-)

If it's a dedicated Myth box, you /must/ run at 100 x 100 DPI or your
themes will not work properly (which means you will have to fix all your
themes or live with out-of-alignment text and graphics).

Note, also, that the OP didn't provide enough information to know how to
set the DPI for his/her X server.  If using NVIDIA drivers, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/199641#199641 .

Mike