[mythtv-users] Removing laugh tracks from recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu May 4 18:44:20 EDT 2006

On May 4, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>> There is equipment available that purports to remove vocal tracks
>> from music, for "Karaoke applications. I have no idea how well it
>> works.
>>
>> Theoretically an application of the same technology might at least
>> reduce the level of the offending laugh track, it would be harder
>> because the content is similar to dialog which you would want to
>> keep.
>>
>> Probably beyond anything we can economically do right now, but as you
>> say today's impossibility might be tomorrow's Blue Light Special
>> at K-
>> Mart.
>
> All that equipment can do is give you some EQ presets that reduce the
> volume of frequency ranges that vocals typically fall in. It ends up
> making all the audio sound very bad. The only way it would sound
> acceptable as a "karaoke track" is to crank the vocals on whomever is
> singing over it so you don't notice how bad the music is - you can
> concentrate on how bad the vocals are. ;) I would find it more
> annoying to watch a program that is constantly going into/coming out
> of mute because of laugh tracks. In fact, it would make laugh tracks
> even more noticeable since the volume would constantly be dipping and
> coming back.

I suspected it was just a fancy equalizer, thanks for the
confirmation.  If it;s used for Karaoke it probably sounds better
than any of the "performers".

> Now if we can just convince tv studios to send the laugh track on a
> separate channel, we're in business. :)

Seems like I read about that being done someplace, perhaps in the
EU ? They had two sound tracks, one with and one sans laughtrack.

I can't believe that anyone, given a choice, would prefer to hear the
laughtrack, it has to be one of the world's worst inventions.

Reminds me of Lily Tomlin and her fears. She said that her worst
fear, one that caused her to wake up screaming in the middle of the
night, is that the person who invented Muzak might be trying to think
up something else.