[mythtv-users] Mythmusic keys problem: pgup/pgdn

Jeff Simpson jeffsimpson at alum.wpi.edu
Thu May 4 11:45:59 EDT 2006

> Hey there -- I'm running mythmusic 0.19.0, built from source, and I'm having
> some problems with keymappings.  PgUp/PgDn seem to be used throughout the rest
> of mythfrontend as "skip back/skip forward", but in mythmusic, they're used
> for REW and FFWD, instead.  This seemed kinda ... non-intuitive.  (Based on
> other key usage in other myth contexts, it seems to me that Right and Left
> should move through the currently playing song, and that pgup/pgdn should skip
> to the previous/next track.)

There are a lot of non-intuitive things about the key settings in
myth. I emailed the list awhile back asking about them and got zero

I noticed the same discrepency with "Page Up / Page Down". It seems
that it refers to both the page-up/down key as well as the
page-up/down function. It works fine if you have the function and key
mapped to the same thing, but all bets are off when you change that.

In my opinion, the hard-coding of keys to functions needs to stop. A
lot of myth still requires a keyboard or direct-keyboard-mapped-remote
to operate. I think mythcontrol is a step in the right direction, but
it still a bit of a long way from being perfect.

Here are a few of the messages I posted with information about
keymapping issues:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196040?#196040
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196017?#196017
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/195994?#195994
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/195997?#195997
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/196514?#196514

> So I went looking and found mythmusic/main.cpp, which looks like this, in
> part:
>
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "NEXTTRACK",  "Move to the next track",     ">,.,Z,End");
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "PREVTRACK",  "Move to the previous track", ",,<,Q,Home");
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "FFWD",       "Fast forward",               "PgDown");
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "RWND",       "Rewind",                     "PgUp");
>
> I figured, "hey, I'm a resourceful guy -- what if I take out End and Home and
> replace them with the keys I wantt them to be?"
>
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "NEXTTRACK",  "Move to the next track",     ">,.,Z,PgDown");
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "PREVTRACK",  "Move to the previous track", ",,<,Q,PgUp");
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "FFWD",       "Fast forward",               "Right");
> >    REG_KEY("Music", "RWND",       "Rewind",                     "Left");
>
> And then I recompiled mythmusic and did a 'make install' and restarted
> mythfrontend and got ... no change in behaviour.  Same keypresses, same
> weirdness.

Try restarting mythbackend, as weird as that seems.

> so, #1: am I alone in thinking the keymapping is a little weird?  (I only
> noticed because my otherwise working remote didn't do what I thought it should
> in mythmusic) and #2, am I missing where I'd properly futz with this in the code?

Nope, the keymapping is VERY weird. It works fine for most people that
just accept the basic configuration suggestions and map their remote
to the basic features. But if you want to add things like commercial
skipping, page-up/page-down, skip, ff, etc, you find that you run out
of buttons and only certain buttons can have multiple things
associated with them. And some buttons HAVE to be associated to the
same things (Page Up as a key has to be Page Up as a function, for
example, otherwise some parts don't work).

I'd like to give you a hand with this if I can be helpful. Try
installing mythcontrol and see if that gets you any closer. I'd like
to see all the hardcoded keys removed entirely and replaced by a
default set of keys (stored in the same way that mythcontrol would
have saved tham). That's the only way to be sure that keys are being
mapped correctly and not just riding on the default keypresses.

 - Jeff