[mythtv-users] OT: Upgrade to Mysql 5.0

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed May 3 23:14:36 UTC 2006

Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> R. G. Newbury writes:
>

>> Unfortunately mysql is not, to my knowledge, available through yum. I
>> got the upgrade to work however, by using 'rpm --force -U MySQL'.
>

> WRONG!
>
> Never use --force, unless it's just a temporary workaround for a known,
> and fully understood packaging error, which will quickly be rectified by
> an upgrade to a later package release, which will not use --force.
>
> Your updated mysql package will probably fail in some subtle way at some
> point, or, worse yet, continue to work but give incorrect results.  Or,
> other software that has an explicit dependency on your older version of
> MySQL will malfunction or lose stability, in some way.
>
> --force is not a "fix", for a dependency issue.  It's a workaround for a
> known packaging bug.

Yadda yadda... if it was a 'known packaging bug' then mysql etc would
have fixed their package. I strongly suspect that --force is there
PRECISELY to allow the user to install one package where somebody has
failed to properly set up another package.

> You do not have any packaging bugs.  Your package is fine, it's just not
> compatible with the rest of the software that you have installed.  And
> using --force is not going to fix it.

I do not believe that for an instant. There are packaging bugs and yum
is not able to handle all of them. And sometimes smart isn't. The
'problem' is that yum insists a bunch of modules and connectors must be
removed before it will allow version 5 to be installed instead of
version 4, when the modules and connectors will work with both versions.

> Using --force is equivalent to sticking your head into a pile of sand,
> and hope that this will fix all your problems.

Gratutious political metaphor omitted... Man you do give good straight
lines! Had to bite my tongue hard!