[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed May 3 20:33:08 UTC 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> I'd like to ship flash and PXE boot versions, and I'd *like* to ship
> software, but I won't
> at least until I can get a lawyer's opinion. Unfortunately I don't
> know
> any lawyers.

Unfortunately, even if you know a hundred lawyers, that's all you
will get, an *opinion*.

It will remain an opinion until tested in court, and even that can be
appealed 'till doomsday.

Even if the opinion is correct, that would not prevent your being
sued, and if the entity fighting you has deeper pockets than you do,
you will still lose in the end.

To paraphrase Robert Heinlein, To win a case is very expensive, but
to lose one costs everything you own.