[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed May 3 19:40:44 UTC 2006

I wish a lawyer would speak up on these issues. Currently it looks like
a lot of people
have it partially right, but nobody is declaring themselves a lawyer, so
it's all noise in the end.

Still, this has been a good thread for me. I'm planning to sell mythtv
hardware to the mythtv
community (if you will buy it), and I don't think I'll include an OS
with the hardware at this
point. Perhaps I'll start an open source project to host the OS and link
to instructions for
installing it, or perhaps I'll link to an existing OS project and forget
about the software altogether.

I would LIKE to ship with an OS, either on a CD, or on Flash already,
but this thread has
scared me away from that course of action.

Either way, my business model will be retail hardware sales ONLY. I
don't expect to get
rich off it. I know it's a relatively poor model. It's just an extension
of my hobby and it
would be nice to support my mythtv hardware addiction by actually making
a small profit
and getting some business experience in the process. I certainly do NOT
want to get sued
though. That would totally defeat the purpose of the venture.

I hope Brian Woods and a few others who have vehemently opposed the
commercialization
of mythtv won't boycott my products merely because the description
mentions that it can be
used with mythtv. I just want to provide inexpensive, pre-assembled
solutions to the community.
I don't think there is anything illegal about that.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net