[mythtv-users] First build - Looking for CPU recommendations

Nedim Cholich nedim.cholich at gmail.com
Wed May 3 11:09:59 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Chris <gchris at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > Joy of building a new machine, priceless. For everything else there is
> NewEgg.
> >
> > The MB has Nvidia 6150 on board, with VGA, DVI and Component out. It
> also has Intel HD Audio, Gigabit ethernet, USB2, Firewire.
> >
> > XvMC is still not working with 6150, but the the cpu seems to be able to
> handle HDTV without it. And nvidia will eventually come through.
> >
> > Everything works except network card stops working intermittently. I'm
> using forcedeth driver which is not stable yet, but in time... For now I
> have put $10 Linksys card in that does the job.
> Right, when you get everything working you'll have a frontend.  Now what
> are you going to use that has enough slots to be a backend?

Right. That was just a front end. But the MB has two (empty) PCI slots and
one PCIe in addition to on-board VGA. Plus two (I think) empty brackets for
things like SPDIF out or PVR500 extra bracket. It could be used for back-end
as well, but I'm not using it that way.

My back-end is my old dual Athlon MP 2400+ with FX5200, PVR500 and HD3000.
1x200Gb + 1x300Gb in LVM and 2x40Gb in RAID0. Running FC5.

I think for back-end no matter how quite MB+CPU is the disks are going to
make it noisy unless you go with something like new 500Gb super quiet disk
(not sure if there are any yet). Or maybe water cooling, but how wants to
mess with that.