[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed May 3 04:53:40 UTC 2006

> On May 2, 2006, at 10:01 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:
> >
> > You're probably right about a fledgling commercial MythTV venture's
> > inability to afford a lawyer, but you're making an assumption that
> > zap2it can afford to get in costly legal battle, and I don't think
> > that is for certain.
>
> I would think it is as certain as anything could possibly be that
> Tribune Media, with the probable backing of the NAB and the MPAA,
> could afford as many "costly legal battles" as they wished to get into.

What makes you think the MPAA has any interest? This is not a "piracy"
issue that they would want to make a stand on. I doubt the NAB would
have much interest either. Zap2it are already giving away the content,
after all. Those groups might state support for a suit but I highly
doubt they'd contribute materially.

Now, Tribune certain could afford to get involved, but that doesn't
mean they would. Ultimately any legal costs still count against
zap2it's revenue and that's not going to be high for a free service.
Most likely they'd send out some C&Ds and try to get a commercial
agreement in place if it looked viable. If not or if they get ignored
it's far more likely they'd either let it slide or just decide to
discontinue the free service.

Steve