[mythtv-users] New Kernel

Nedim Cholich nedim.cholich at gmail.com
Wed May 3 02:46:25 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, David Novick <dknovick at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm using Fedora Core so I:
>
> * Set aside some time when I know nothing is going to record
> * yum install kernel
> * reboot (where it complains about being about to run X, and dumps me into
> shell
> * uname -r (to make sure the newest kernel is actually loaded
> * yum install kernel-devel
> * compile the nvidia drivers (or you can install them from Axel's repos)
> * startx (cross fingers)
> * yum install (anything else kernel dependent like alsa, lirc, ivtv)
> * if ivtv is a major upgrade (like from 0.4 to 0.6), I'll shutdown wait a
> couple of minutes and turn the machine back on (cross fingers)
> * I then check to make sure I can still watch live tv with all my tuners
> on
> Mythtv
> * Update Myth (or anything else)

I'm using FC5 these days and Smart Pacakge Manager. With atrpms it can't be
more simple. When installing new kernel I first wait for all the kernel
modules to come out like ivtv, alsa, nvidia. Then I install all of them
together with kernel and reboot. Most of the time it all just works, but if
it doesn't the old stuff is still there. I ususally keep one old version of
everything installed just in case upgrade doesn't go smoothly. With latest
ivtv there is even no need to remove some of the modules that conflict with
HD3000. I usually upgrade other packages (including mythtv) in a separate
batch.