[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase throughed shared internet connection

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 2 21:35:40 UTC 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 3:24 PM, Francesco Peeters wrote:

> Mike Harrison schreef:
>> I recently helped a friend setup myth on a fresh ubuntu breezy
>> install.
>> We set the whole thing up at my place because he doesn't have a
>> broadband connection. When he left my place everything was working
>> perfectly. He has since told me that when he got home and tried to
>> run
>> mythfilldatabase to connect to zap2it, the connection timed out.
>>
>> His setup at home is he has dial-up connection on a windows box. He
>> connects to the windows machine through a wired router from his
>> myth box
>> using internet connection sharing. He has made sure that he has an
>> internet connection before trying to run mythfilldatabase. He can
>> ping
>> the windows machine. He can connect to websites.
>>
>> What could be causing mythfilldatabase to timeout while connecting to
>> zap2it?
>>

> Last time I looked, the Shared Internet Connection stuff only
> worked for
> Windows boxes, as it required installation of a kind of proxy client.
> The only exception to that was web access (port 80 and 443) from proxy
> capable browsers...
>
> I'm not sure whether that is still valid for the current version,
> but it
> might be something to look at... (Does the zap2it client code allow
> for
> a proxy to be defined?)

I would think that a better setup would be for the Linux(Myth)
machine to make the dialup connection, then the Windows box could
connect through that.

You could have a better firewall setup without having to run Windows
F/W stuff, and everything should be transparent to the Windows machine.

Since you are likely to want the Myth machine running more of the
time than the Windows one, this would make sense, otherwise you'd
need to run the Windows machine just to let Myth have net access
(which you want for more than filling the database, news, weather,
IMDB, mythbrowser sites, NTP and others I can't think of right now.