[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue May 2 21:01:17 UTC 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Joe Votour wrote:

> Don't forget:
> 4. MP3 (used for software encoding/frame capture
> cards) is patented (by Fraunhofer, I think)
> 5. MPEG-4 (used for software encoding and sometimes
> transcoding and playback) is patented.
> 6. MPEG-2 (used for playback) is patented.
>
> Although those three items are handled by GPLd
> software (LAME and ffmpeg/libmpeg), you would still
> have to negotiate royalties with the patent holders if
> you sold the machines in a country where the patents
> are honored.
>
> (Yes, if you live in the United States and you use
> MythTV there's a very good chance you're infringing on
> peoples' patents.  They don't come after us, probably
> for the reason that it would highlight the flaws in
> the patent system and spoil it for them.)

I understand that a typical consumer DVD player has about $20 worth
of licenses and royalties associated with the right to use the "DVD"
logo, MPEG-2, possibly MPEG-3, Dolby, DTS etc.

That's why "DiVX" DVD players cost more, the additional firmware is
very little cost, but the license adds to the final tab.

So when they sell you a player for $29 they are actually selling the
hardware for $9 (probably subsidized by the primary beneficiaries of
your having a player).