[mythtv-users] Legality of selling MythTV and its Components?

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Tue May 2 20:09:30 UTC 2006

> One tricky question is the zap2it guide data, at least if you're in
> the US.

It's not a tricky question at all. You can't sell mythboxen in the US
without violating the license. End of discussion. Negotiate a license
before you start to plan you business. It's going to be in the 7
figure range, good luck!

As much as I would like to see a large organization form around
bringing the awesome power of MythTV to everyone's living room. It's
not going to happen. The media companies that own/create the data
still wet themselves when they read section 107 of us copyright law.
I'm shocked they allow zap2it to distribute TV listings at all. They
are already crushing/cripling TiVo right out of business. Lets not
rock the boat.  All the legislation around digital content is making
MythTV less and less future proof. I still can't get a firewire box
from Time Warner in Rochester. It's not like the FCC is enforcing the
laws my tax dollars paid for :-/

I say we form a MythTV Lobby group first... worry about business later.

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com