[mythtv-users] HD video eats WAY too much CPU

Gary Dezern gary at garyndenise.org
Tue May 2 13:42:59 UTC 2006

> So, installed my Aver A180, scanned for QAM channels, and a few
hours
> later I was up and running.  However, unlike SD content
(or even 480p
> content), I'm seeing that playback of HD (1080i)
content is eating 100%
> CPU instead of the 5-10% used for 480p.
It's bad enough that I get
> stuttering (and the stuttering is bad
enough to make it unwatchable.)

One for the
archives:  replacing the NVidia MX 4000 with an FX5200 made a world
of difference.  Exact same configuration, and idle CPU went from 0-5%
to 30-50% when playing 1080i scaled and deinterlaced to 720p via
XvMC.  (I prefer to measure based on _idle_ CPU as both X and
mythfrontend eat cycles.)

(The only stuttering I get now
is when new email arrives on the machine, or I start to compile
something.  This is likely a CPU issue (myth has it's own dedicated
SATA bus) and hopefully will be resolved by replacing my A64 3000 with an
X2.)

Other things I learned:  If you are getting a black
screen and no playback (and errors in the frontend log saying something
about waiting for free buffers), play with the VLSync option in myth, and
play with the option in the appearance setup referring to watching video
in the same dimensions as myth is using (let the video use the full
screen.)

Finally, when all else fails, post here.  People
are actually helpful.