[mythtv-users] Controlling Input Used for Recordings

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue May 2 13:35:08 UTC 2006

John Welch wrote:
> So, my question is can I force MythTV to use a particular input for a
> recording?  I know that you can assign priorities to inputs and/or
> channels.  But I'm not sure this is what I am looking for.  Depending
> on the program I am recording I may decide it's better to use one
> input versus the other.

If you have your recording schedule set to "Record any time on any
channel" then Myth will find that program wherever it is shown and
record it on whichever input has the higher priority.  Newer cards lose
to older cards if priorities are equal.  This may be the situation you
are in.

If you have your recording schedule set to "Record any time on this
channel" then Myth will only record that program on the channel
specified but will also ignore other showings.   This may be what you
want as it can force Myth to consider only a single channel.  Inputs
really don't matter here except if you have two inputs with identical
channels, then it will take input priority into consideration again.
Since you mention that your channels show up differently in the guide,
your channels are different for the sake of this argument.

And just for reference, with Custom Recording schedules you can also
make interesting rules like "only on this lineup" so that if you had
multiple inputs with the same lineup (like a PVR-500 attached to normal
cable) that it would consider both inputs because they shared a lineup
while ignoring other inputs on a different lineup (say from an HD
card).  I have used this to restrict low priority recordings like
Seinfeld from ever recording on my HD card while leaving them open for
any other card now or in the future that uses my standard cable lineup.

I hope that helps.

Kevin