[mythtv-users] Storage Questions. LVM, RAID, NFS

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 22:58:47 UTC 2006

On 5/1/06, Dean Wilson <dean.k.wilson at gmail.com> wrote:
> One more quick question:  I currently have two first generation SATA
> drives, and will be adding 2 SATA II drives, and 1 P-ATA drive.  I
> imagine that the slower drives will slow the whole process a little
> bit (hopefully insignificantly?).  My question is this:
>
> Given that I'll have a wide variety of drives, will it make any
> difference how much of a buffer the drives have?  (8MB vs 16MB)   Any
> other suggestions (like buying from different manufacturers to avoid
> disks dying at the same time) that I should be aware of?

No real incompatibility issues to be wary of when mixing drives. Just
keep in mind that when creating a RAID 5 array, the size of the array
will be a multiple of the smallest partition in the array.

If the price difference is negligible, might as well buy the drives
with the largest cache and hope that the old slower drive fails first.
;-)

-Dave