[mythtv-users] MPEG2 -> MPEG2 Transcoding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 29 02:22:44 UTC 2006

On 03/28/2006 04:54 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

>I've "lossless" transcode commercial cuts to many shows (100+) for
>both ATSC and PVR-150 MPEG2 recordings and have not once seen an audio
>sync issue occur. I can with fairly good certainty say that all else
>being equal no audio sync error should occur.
>
>If you ever do see a sync issue, send an email to the Dev list, I
>forget the fellows name who coded the MPEG2->MPEG2 transcoding,

Geoffrey Hausheer

> but
>he'll ask for some more information and a sample to figure out the
>problem. I know he fixed quite a few bugs for me and others while 0.19
>was still in SVN.

Right, and that's the most important part.  One of the primary reasons
Geoffrey created the new lossless transcoder in Myth 0.19 was to allow
simple commercial clipping without introducing A/V sync errors, since
other available MPEG-2 tools did not properly handle issues in the
PVR-x50 recordings.

So, basically, what the OP heard about cutting MPEG-2 applies to other
tools, but Myth's lossless transcoder was created because of the
problems those other tools had, so you shouldn't experience any A/V sync
issues when using it.

Mike