[mythtv-users] Run mythfilldatabase if using EIT only sources? (was Re: Performance issue : Number of records in a Table ???)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 29 02:11:49 UTC 2006

On 03/28/2006 01:52 PM, James Stembridge wrote:

>On 3/7/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm ignoring all the questions except the last two (which make the
>>others irrelevant).  The mythfilldatabase program will automatically
>>clear expired program listings from the database.  By default, they
>>expire one day after the starttime.  However, if you pass the
>>mythfilldatabase command-line argument "--no-delete", they expire one
>>week after the starttime.
>>

>Is there a solution for EIT users, who commonly won't run
>mythfilldatabase at all?

Very good question.  :)  I don't think there's any way to get the
cleanup without mfdb, but I have to admit I know nothing about EIT.

I would guess that all users should run mfdb--even those who have only
specified video sources using "Transmitted guide only (EIT)".  For these
users, mfdb wouldn't download data or populate the listings tables, but
would perform the cleanup of old data.  However, at first glance, it
looks like it might output a warning, "Grabbing XMLTV data using eitonly
is not verified as working."  The warning is harmless (and running mfdb
won't cause any problems), but if you get the warning, we should modify
mfdb to handle eitonly better.  (If you try it out, please let me know
if you get the warning in your log--direct evidence could save me a lot
of digging into the code.  If that warning appears, I'll submit a patch
to fix the warning.)

So, let me throw this out to the experts...  Is there any way for people
who do not need to use mythfilldatabase to grab listings to get the
clean-up functionality mfdb provides (in clearOldDBEntries() ) without
running mfdb?  Or, should users who use EIT as their only source of
listings data be running mfdb, anyway?

Thanks,
Mike