[mythtv-users] MythVideo Listings

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Tue Mar 28 06:03:23 UTC 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 17.19, Joel Ostheller wrote:

> This seems to me to be the desired function. When you want to add a
> video to your "browse videos" then you need to go into your video
> manager anyways to make it scan imdb for its info. Why would you
> want it to scan for videos every single time you want to browse
> your videos?

Actually, this is a feature I've been hoping for. I have made more
than a couple videos myself, and I also have amassed a rather
impressive collection of videos. Hard disk space is a premium for me,
so I keep most of my stuff on DVD-Rs, and networked from my laptop
(which isn't always on the network). Having Myth just present me with
a listing of everything in the directory (including the DVD drive,
which would be mounted inside of that directory) would be wonderful.

> how about writing a script that checks your video collection every
> night at 2am and then updates your DB if there are any changes? is
> that what you are asking for?

Well, it all depends. For people like me, that's not an option. I
want to watch my videos now, not after 2A.

But different people use MythVideo differently. Perhaps someone needs
to create a sort of off-shoot of MythVideo where there is no real
database of information kept, and we're just given a disk explorer to
load up videos, sort of like how XBMC does video management.