[mythtv-users] Playback stoppyand go-y. Ie super-duper-uber-jittery.

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Mar 27 22:46:51 UTC 2006

James C. Dastrup wrote:
> All the comments about 'how terrible ATI is' get pretty old after a while. The fact
> is ATI and nVidia can both provide a quality picture in MythTV equally well. The
> problem the original poster is having is not with his choice of video card, but his
> choice of kernel; if you want the latest kernel, you have to wait for other
> components to catch up. That's the way it is with all OS's, except Linux OS updates
> are much more frequent than some others.

I'll admit, I'm especially jaded about ATI after having zero support for
my ATI Raedon all-in-wonder using any sort of standard Linux capture
method.  The TV-out was ok but it also lacked support for any MPEG-2
features of the card.  And especially now after spending the weekend
wrestling with my ATI IGP 9100 motherboard which doesn't even support
AGP in Linux and now won't let my Nvidia XvMC acceleration function with
either PCI or AGP cards despite using a working installation from
another system.  I'm scrapping the motherboard and have put ATI on
notice :)  By contrast, my other system works perfect using an Althon
1800 to playback 1080i content using XvMC on an Nvidia card.  And so
does my Unichrome based board.  With contrasting experiences like that,
it makes me quick to not recommend ATI to people.

Kevin