[mythtv-users] Playback stoppy and go-y. Ie super-duper-uber-jittery.

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Mar 27 21:22:22 UTC 2006

Greg Stark wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> writes:
>

>> It's probably a lack of DRI or accellerated playback of any kind that
>> matters.  For what it's worth, ATI is probably the worst brand to pick
>> in general for Myth because of their driver situation.
>>

> Actually at this point the ATI cards seem to be the best supported cards.
> Matrox was well supported too but they're not really cost effective. Nvidia
> cards are basically binary driver only.

I've found basically the opposite.  Nvidia may be binary but it
generally works and supports additional features that ATI lacks like
XvMC hardware assisted HDTV playback.
>> Is there a reason you're using 2.6.16 instead of a supported kernel revision
>> for the driver package?
>>

> Why would I want to use an old kernel with known bugs and missing features
> added in later kernels? In fact part of the reason I upgraded was because I
> was hoping the later ivtv drivers would have fixed the problems I had with
> mythtv crashing when I tried it on a 2.6.12 kernel.

Well, bugs and missing features are only really relevant if they affect
that you're doing.  I'm not sure what combination of drivers you were
using or what distribution you're on.  The FC4 packages from atrpms.net,
etc. seem pretty solid for me with my PVR-500, PVR-150, and HDTV QAM
card.  As with anything, Myth is only as stable as the underlying OS and
drivers.  Given the newness of IVTV 0.6 and 2.6.16, I'm not sure you can
really expect increased stability over something like 2.6.15 and IVTV 0.4.4

Kevin