[mythtv-users] Watch TV - Then nothing

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 27 12:52:28 UTC 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 12:23 AM, <jborn at charter.net> wrote:

> If I remember right, before .19 I was not which capture card type
> to choose when running through the capture card setup.  Under .19 I
> didn't have any questions about choosing the correct type.  It is
> labels for both capture card definitions as "MPEG-2 encoder card
> (PVR-x50, PVR-500)"  Once that is selected I can define the video
> device which is "/dev/video0" or "/dev/video1" and set the Default
> Input to "Tuner".

<log entries snipped.

> This last line about the image file is the closest I see to an
> error.  I would like to know how to fix this, but is very low on my
> priority list right now.

That is only about the netflix screen and not anything to worry about
as far as LiveTV.

> As for logs running the following shows I have two logs the one
> that may show important messages has not been written to in quite
> some time:
> locate myth*.log
> /var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log
> /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
> ls -ltr /var/log/mythtv
> total 32
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root  1962 Nov  5 22:46 mythfrontend.log
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 24882 Mar 26 03:21 mythfilldatabase.log
>
> Woah.. pasted this in here I noticed both are owned by root.  I'm
> going to reset the log permissions and retest. After that still no
> updates to the mythfrontend.log.
>
> What can I check next?

If you run the frontend from a terminal, do you see anything after
you try live TV and get nothing (you'll probably have to exit out of
the F/E to see this).

Regarding your thought that it might be an audio problem, there is a
checkbox someplace to enable messages about audio problems, is it
checked ? I think that gives you a message that tells you there might
be no audio and asks if you want to proceed anyway.

What audio device are you using ? I use /dev/dsp but some folks say
ALSA:DEFAULT works better (??) (But you should be able to get video
even without audio I think).

I don't know anything about your X setup, but I see you're running
1280x1024. While I think this should work you might try 1024x768,
you're going to have to drop to that anyway when you move to TV out
as the NTSC encoder in the nVidia card won't support anything greater.