[mythtv-users] Problems setting up input connections on Hauppauge PVR-150

Craig Hagerman craighagerman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 01:50:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a hauppauge PVR-150 card that is working correctly at /dev/video0

cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg shows that the card is working and I can
view TV that way, but so far I haven't managed to get mythtv set up
correctly.

In mythtv-setup I am sure that the 1. General and 2. Capture Card
sections are set up correctly. I am pretty sure that 3. Video Sources
is OK as well.

What I am really unsure about is section 4. Input Connections

I that section there are 5 listins:

[MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (Tuner) -> (None)
[MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (Composite 0) -> (None)
[MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (Composite 1) -> (None)
[MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (S-Video 0) -> (None)
[MPEG: /dev/video0 ] (S-Video 1) -> (None)

I don't understand which one I am supposed to use. The TV is connected
by a normal coaxial cable, not an antenna or S-Video. I thought that
composite was those 3 red-yellow-white plugs you put between a TV and
VCR. A normal cable input isn't any of those. Which one am I supposed
to be using. I tried TUNER first and had an error message (below).
Then I tried COMPOSITE 0 and had the same error.

The error said:

Card 0 (type ) is set to start on channel 2, which does not exist.
(repeated 5 times)

BUT, I have it set with "Starting Channel: 3". moreover channel 2 DOES exist.

After the error it asks "do you want to fix these problems" ... YEAH,
i certainly do, but the set up isn't giving me any clues as to what is
wrong, how to diagnose or what to change. Can anyone tell me what this
means and how to fix it?

In the mythtv.org docs it says "you will associate the various video
sources you defined earlier with a physical input to a encoder card. "
... BUT it doesn't go into explicit detail about how to know which one
to choose etc. (I guess because every card is different, right?) I
think that the Hauppauge PVR-150 is pretty popular on this list. Can
one of you other users help me out and tell me how to correctly set up
the input connections

Many thanks in advance,

Craig